[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 Feedback

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 16:45:59 PDT 2004

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 22:11:44 +0000 (UTC), Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Csaba Gabor wrote:
> This sounds like what you are really requesting is a way for setting the
> coordinate when you call click(), so you would do, e.g.:
>
>   image.click(2, 5);
>
> Is that right? If so, that seems relatively simple to add.

but not trivial to implement unfortunately, the overwriting of IE's
native methods isn't reliable (you get access denied errors on
occasions, take a fully patched IE5.5 on Windows 2000 and you can't do
document.write for example)

Also, I don't think this would be possible to do with HTC's because as
soon as you overwrite the click method of the input element, you lose
access to the original click method - this means that aswell as
constucting the form submission yourself, you'd also need to fire all
event listeners listen to the click event - something which is not
possible in IE.  So full emulation of this in IE6 would not be
possible.

> There are pages that use each of those, so we can't really remove any of
> them.

There are no WHAT-WG pages that use those already (or if there are,
they're only test ones, therefore they could easily be removed from
WHAT-WG specs - I don't think there's any point though.

Jim.