[whatwg] Syntax Highlighting [was: several messages]

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Dec 3 17:22:46 PST 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, James Graham wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, James Graham wrote:
> >
> > > So something that would roughly work: Add an optional dataformat
> > > (better name?) attribute that takes a URI. For XML formats, this
> > > will typically be the namespace of the format, for other formats it
> > > must simply be globally unique. Additionally, specify a set of
> > > string -> URI mappings for common formats such as HTML, XHTML and
> > > others so they may be identified by the shorter string (which must
> > > not be a valid URI) rather than the long URI. The behavior of the UA
> >
> > The problem with this is I imagine UAs would probably just end up
> > doing nothing, and we'd be back to where we are now.
>
> The details of that suggestion were way too complex. But replace all the
> rubbish about URIs with 'allow an optional attribute specifying the MIME
> type of the data type expected in the textarea'. Since many browsers use
> text editing components that already support features such as syntax
> highlighting (or, I would be surprised if they don't)

They don't. At least, none of the browsers I know about have syntax
highlighting editors of that kind, as far as I know.

> very plausible that at least some browsers would make use of this
> attribute to provide a better text editing experience. Since many
> applications (e.g. CMS systems) require the input of specific data types
> (html) in text areas, this could be a big usability win for any browser
> that implements it. Clearly syntax highlighting is not the only
> possibility - a spellchecker could be set up to ignore certian data
> types or certian poritions of the text in a particular data type.

Given that UAs haven't generally done even basic spell-checking, I don't
feel confident that they would do this. I certainly don't feel confident
enough to put this in the current versions of the spec.