[whatwg] Fwd: idea for new tag: breadcrums (fwd)

George Lund george at lund.co.uk
Mon Dec 6 13:59:38 PST 2004

In message <Pine.LNX.4.61.0411260009360.17654 at dhalsim.dreamhost.com>,
Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> writes

>Someone sent me a mail suggesting:
>
>| <breadcrumbs>
>| </breadcrumbs>
>
>I think a better way of doing this would be:
>
>   <navigation>
>     Second hand
>   </navigation>
>
>...where we define rel="up" to mean "go up one level" (as now) and add the
>semantic that if the keyword is repeated, then it means up that many
>levels. I've noted this as something the spec will have to talk about.

URLs already have these semantics built-in.  <a href="../"> means
something special to web browsers without having to invent a new way of
doing that.  What would these keywords do extra that can't already be
done if authors organise their URL-spaces sensibly?

The idea of a <navigation> element would be very useful (like giving
speaking browsers the chance to skip their contents, for example).  But
I don't see why that <p> mark-up should be added, as what we have there
isn't a normal paragraph in most human languages.  It's more like some
kind of specially-ordered list, if anything.

--
George Lund