[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 Feedback

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 8 00:29:13 PST 2004

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Matthew Raymond wrote:
[My argument against the having no initial radio buttons selected in a
radio group snipped.]

> In theory, I agree with you. However, UAs can't do what you ask for.
> Whenever a vendor has tried implementing this, they have gotten swamped
> with requests to change it back to the IE-compatible behaviour. Sites
> depend on this behaviour, and break without it.
>
> This is one of those cases where our hands are tied by legacy content.

    Oh, I agree that for backwards compatibility sake, we need to
support radio groups with no initial values. However, I see little
reason not to  recommend default radio buttons in either WF2 or WA1.
(Probably the former.)

    That said, I really wish there were a way to depreciate the lack of
a default, but the method of doing so escapes me at the moment.