[whatwg] Comments on Web Forms 2.0

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Dec 8 17:19:46 PST 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> > > It does. My reasoning was that the BOM could only occur in the
> > > middle of a string as an artifact left there when concatenating
> > > strings that start with the BOM.
> >
> > This is incorrect, U+FEFF is a valid character in its own right
> > (albeit deprecated in favour of U+2060) and is only the BOM if found
> > at the start of a string.
>
> Isn't it the point of deprecation that implementors may opt not to
> support deprecated stuff?

It depends (the word "deprecate" doesn't imply this on its inverse; you
have to check with each instance of a deprecation to find what the case
is). However, in many cases, as, I believe, with U+FEFF, deprecation is
intended to discourage potentially harmful or confusing use, without
breaking backwards compatibility with existing content (and thus still
requiring it of implementations).

> > The documents don't _need_ to be namespaced, they are all in one
> > namespace and don't contain any content that could ever be from other
> > namespaces. The only reason to use namespaces at all is, in fact, to
> > support users of namespace-aware parsers.
>
> Namespace-aware parsers work just fine with namespaceless documents.

Sure, but they work better when they have a namespace to hook into,
because then the tool can do namespace-based dispatch.

Imagine loading one of these documents into an XML+CSS renderer. How would
it know whether to use the Web Forms 2 stylesheet or the DocBook
stylesheet? With a namespace, the answer is easy.

> > Ok, added:
> >
> > While this section restricts the exact features of XML that a UA may
> > use, these restrictions do not apply to the files used when seeding a
> > form with initial values.
> >
> > Is that ok?
>
> OK.
>
> (Still, limiting the choice of syntactic sugar in the submission format
> has the feel of Appendix C to it.)

There aren't really any restrictions beyond not breaking XML 1.0 rules and
being compatible with both non-namespace-aware and namespace-aware
parsers. Which, of the remaining restrictions, did you want to remove?

> > The spec doesn't say what the recipient is supposed to do with
> > _recognised_ elements or attributes, either. What servers do is pretty
> > much up to the servers, not much we can do about it.
>
> Attempts to influence the ad hoc works of the ViewSourceClan might
> indeed be futile. However, what you write in the spec could influence
> what the developers of server-side frameworks (eg. Struts) do.

It could, I guess. Did you have any particular ideas in mind? I don't
really know what to add.