[whatwg] Default Radio Buttons

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Dec 9 17:00:18 PST 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Matthew Raymond wrote:

> I already have a good sense of why it's so hard to come up with a
> solution for this, but let's give it a shot anyway. After all, a good
> engineer needs to document what won't work, because you never know when
> a client/manager/other person might ask you why you didn't take a
> specific approach.
>
> Solution #1 - New elements:

Wouldn't be backwards compatible.

> Solution #2 - Metadata Switch:

What's the point? If authors want to select a radio button by default,
there is already a switch -- the "checked" attribute on the radio button
that sets the radio button they want to have be the default to be
checked. And it's better than a <meta> switch, since they can control it
on a per-radio-button-set, and they can pick which radio button should
default to checked...