[whatwg] Default Radio Buttons

dolphinling dolphinling at myrealbox.com
Sat Dec 11 14:18:58 PST 2004

Petrazickis wrote:
> Matthew Raymond wrote:
>
>> Ian Hickson wrote:

>>> You mean give a suggestion to authors? The spec already says "Authors
>>> are recommended to always have one radio button selected. Having no
>>> radio buttons selected, or more than one in a group selected, is
>>> considered very poor UI." but I don't know what else we can do.
>>

> How about the following?
> - The last radio button marked selected in a sequence will be the only
> one considered selected by the UA. The UA will not allow for more than
> one radio button to be selected at a time.
> - If no radio button is marked selected, the UA will select the first
> radio button. The UA will not allow for the absence of a selected radio
> button.

The problem with that is that there are a whole ton of pages out there
that use the absence of a selected button as a "choice" (usually a "do
nothing" choice) instead of properly coding their pages to include that
choice. Forcing a selected button would break all those pages, and no UA
can afford the backlash that would create among users.

The only thing I can think of is selecting one by default but allowing
an unselect ability--but that would still be seen as a hassle by most of
said users.