[whatwg] Syntax Highlighting [was: several messages]

James Graham jg307 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Dec 13 04:45:01 PST 2004

Jim Ley wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:59:48 +0000, James Graham <jg307 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>

>>J. King wrote:

>>That's a bit like saying "how do you expect to test that a UA treats an
>><em> element as emphasized"? It can't be done - all that you can check
>>is that the UA behaves in a manner consistent with the metadata being
>>provided
>>

>You're misunderstanding what tested in implementations means in the
>context I was using it, unless the feature is proven to work, by
>having it existing and doing something in a user agent, it shouldn't
>be in the spec, this is why W3c specs now have the 2 implementations
>of each feature rule.

So what does that mean in the context of an element like <var>? There's
no defined way in which such an element has to behave; it provides only
semantics. Was it really necessary that implementations do something
(anything) with such elements just so HTML 4 could be ratified? This
case is much closer to that than a case like display:inline-block in CSS
where there is a clearly defined behavior that could be compared between
different implementations.