[whatwg] Wish: Restrict Image Size on Upload

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 04:12:06 PST 2004

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:08:49 +0000 (UTC), Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 what at keepthebyte.ch wrote:
> > It would be useful to be able to define a bounding box of allowed
> > picture width and height when uploading picture(s). The UA would need to
> > check if the selected picture(s) is/are inside the allowed range (min -
> > max width & height). With picture I generally mean the internet
> > widespread formats (png, gif, jpg).
>
> With the coming of high-resolution monitors, the pixel size of the image
> will presumably become less important, as monitors will be getting more
> pixels per centimeter.

I don't see this as a given fact at all, firstly pixels are always
relevant, not least because all the HTML user agents have appallingly
bad image resizing abilities.  Then there's the problem of small
screen user agents, these obviously only sensibly need a raster of the
size of the screen, there's no point having a "wallpaper" bigger than
the screen.

In any case, with only Internet Explorer [*] doing rescaling of the
CSS PX unit on these high resolution monitors, I think the WHAT-WG era
browsers are a long way from doing it, and until then pixel size will
continue to be relevant.

> Web Forms 2 does provide a way to limit the file size, however, which is
> presumably more important.

Not for many use cases, they're both important, I think this is an
excellent idea.

Jim.