[whatwg] WHAT-WG Status?

Brad Neuberg bkn3 at columbia.edu
Mon Dec 27 13:45:55 PST 2004

At 01:35 PM 12/27/2004, Ian Hickson wrote:
>On Mon, 27 Dec 2004, Brad Neuberg wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks.  Whats the status on the WHAT drafts, when they will be
> > finalized, and when we can start hacking on implementations?  Lets get
> > this stuff out.
>
>Web Forms 2 is basically done -- the last call for comments had no major
>comments, although I'm waiting until after the holidays to go out and
>request comments explicitly so that might yet change. I'd expect us to
>submit Web Forms 2 to a standards organisation or publish it as a Call for
>Implementations on the WHATWG site in 2005 Q1.

I like that idea of having a Call for Implementations to see how things pan
out when the draft is actually implemented.

Another idea, which isn't appropriate for the WHAT drafts since they are
mostly hashed out, would be to have a bake off where people simply
implement and submit proof of concept implementations of improved web APIs;
think of it as an X-Prize for web APIs, where the goal is defined but the
exact way to achieve it is not (and no ten million dollar prize ;)  The
implementors could determine for themselves what new tags and APIs to add;
they would not be working against a draft.  This allows many people to
innovate on their own without the overhead of a standards committee; at the
end of the process others involved in the effort could vote on which one
was the easiest to use, had the best performance, etc.  The great thing
about this is that it allows for innovation, which standards committees are
terrible at; allows a single implementation/design to "win", which
decentralized innovation is not very good at; and ends with a defacto
implementation already available.  Even better would be if the
implementation were open source.

Hope all is well,
   Brad Neuberg

Brad Neuberg, bkn3 at columbia.edu
Senior Software Engineer, Rojo Networks
Weblog: http://www.codinginparadise.org

Check out Rojo, an RSS and Atom news aggregator that I work on.  Visit
http://rojo.com for more info. Feel free to ask me for an invite!

Rojo is Hiring!  If you're interested in RSS, Weblogs, Social Networking,
Java, Open Source, etc... then come work with us at Rojo.  If you recommend
someone and we hire them you'll get a free iPod!  See
http://www.rojonetworks.com/JobsAtRojo.html.