[whatwg] Wish: Restrict Image Size on Upload

MegaZone megazone at megazone.org
Mon Dec 27 19:06:35 PST 2004

Once upon a time Matthew Thomas shaped the electrons to say...
> As others have said, this is not a very compelling reason to reject the
> request. What bothers me more is why it should be a UA's job to
> restrict uploads based on pixel size of images, and not on other
> things.
>
> Should UAs be able to restrict uploads based on the bit depth of
> images? (For some purposes only 1-bit images are desired.) How about
> based on whether images are animated or not? (Some forums may want
> avatars to be non-animated only.) How about based on the number of
> pages in a PDF or RTF document? (Job application forms may want resum?s
> to be no more than /n/ pages.) How about based on the sample rate of
> audio files? Or on the framerate of video files? At what point do you
> say "okay, that's the server's job, not the client's", and why?

For me the issue is how widespread is the restriction?  File size
upload, for any file type, is easily the most common restriction I've
seen online.  For images the second most common restriction I've seen
is pixel size.  Image uploads seem to be largely for things like web
forum avatars, photo galleries, etc, and most of them were designed
with some maximum display size in mind.  I believe every web forum,
blog, etc, software I've seen that allows image uploads has two
restrictions - file size, and image dimensions in pixels.  So I do
feel that being able to restrict based on the pixes in the UA would be
useful for a large number of sites.

I can't say I've ever encountered a site wih the other restrictions
that were mentioned.

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/>  <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris