[whatwg] internationalization/localization

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Jul 1 05:25:08 PDT 2004

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Martin Kutschker wrote:

> Though Jim is a bit cynicical in some of his remarks I second that if
> WF2 doesn't deal with the important aspects of styling it's
> finalizations should be delayed until WC1 is finished or at least stable
> to some degree.
>
> What good is a spec if many aspects are determined by other yet
> unfinished specs? As a browser developer I'd wait for the CSS spec to
> avoid wasting resources. And even if some browsers would have
> implementaions web authors wouldn't adopt it because it lacks styling
> possibilities.

WF2 has the same lack of styling possibilities as HTML4. It doesn't seem
to have stopped people from using HTML4.

I agree that we want the ability to create custom widgets and to then
style them and make them interact with accessibility APIs and so forth.
But I don't buy the argument that until we have this, the markup language
is useless. HTML4's widgets have never had this, and they are well used.