[whatwg] Missing Feature

Martin Kutschker Martin.T.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Thu Jul 1 08:21:42 PDT 2004

Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> writes on
Thu, 01 Jul 2004 15:08:34 +0200 (METDST):

> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Yoeri Van De moortel wrote:
>

> > Something very small, but hard to implement is missing. I want a
> > label
> > that, when it is resized, adds "..." to the end of the string.
> >
> > eg.
> > "This is a test" would become "This is a ..." when resized.
>
> This is actually possible in CSS3 Text:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#text-overflow-props

Oh yeah!

One forgets if those specs if they hang around so long (WD1 May 01, Cand.Rec. May 03).

Is anything expected from this spec? An MS employee is listed as author, but MS doesn't seem to be very interested in standards.

Sorry, for the rant. But I have been watching CSS for some time, but really get bored with the slow progress. I am missing updates for expected test sets, let alone final recs. It's about time for Color, Text and Ruby. And Selectors is in test for more than two years...

Masi