[whatwg] Comment on Forms 2.0: OPTGROUP Nesting

Matthew Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Thu Jul 1 03:32:11 PDT 2004

On 1 Jul, 2004, at 12:49 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> I did some research into the matter and it turns out that no existing
> browser correctly parses nested OPTGROUPs. They basically all parse
> OPTGROUP as if it had an optional end tag. So it wouldn't be possible
> to allow nested OPTGROUPs, sadly.

Such a control doesn't even exist (that I've seen) in native Microsoft
Windows applications, because on that OS option menus are implemented
as "drop-down listboxes", and listboxes don't have submenus.

> Most use cases of trees don't seem to be directly related to form
> submission, though, so we're probably going to optimise its design for
> the interaction case rather than for the form submission case.

Use cases of submittable outline selections:
*   Country > City/Region/State
     -   international airline sites
     -   signup page for any site using MS Passport, e.g.
         Hotmail (currently it reloads for every choice, ugh)
     -   dating sites
     -   timeanddate.com
*   Product > Component/Version
     -   bug databases, e.g. Bugzilla
     -   knowledge bases, e.g. support.microsoft.com
*   category > subcategory > search within this category
     -   Yahoo Directory
     -   Google Directory
     -   Open Directory
     -   eBay.

It seems to me that it would be used more often than (for example) the
proposed time input field.

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/