[whatwg] Textarea Wishlist

James Graham jg307 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 1 12:41:42 PDT 2004

James Graham wrote:

> I was having thoughts about a somewhat similar feature - the ability to
> specify a input 'language' for a text-area

Thnking a little more, I think that the first partt of this idea alone
(i.e. an attribute to specify the data type expected in a text area)
would be useful enough to implement alone. This would allow browsers to
implement syntax highlighting, check for XML well-formedness and provide
access to helper applications relevant to the data type.

So something that would roughly work: Add an optional dataformat (better
name?) attribute that takes a URI. For XML formats, this will typically
be the namespace of the format, for other formats it must simply be
globally unique. Additionally, specify a set of string -> URI mappings
for common formats such  as HTML, XHTML and others so they may be
identified by the shorter string (which must not be a valid URI) rather
than the long URI. The behavior of the UA in response to the presence of
the attribute is not specified.

--
"If anybody ever tells you that you’re using the language incorrectly,
just yell 'prescriptive grammarian!' at the top of your voice and all