[whatwg] Regarding rich text editing

Max Romantschuk max at provico.fi
Thu Jul 1 22:13:13 PDT 2004

I realize I may well be opening a can of worms here, and I don't wish to
start a flame war... but I still would like to take the opportunity to
highlight this issue:

In secion 1.5. (Missing features) of the  it states that (among other
things) a rich text editing or HTML editing control was ejected for this
version of the specification.

I feel that a rich text editing control should be considered for
inclusion after all. It might be that there is some serious issue I
haven't considered, so it would be nice to hear the original grounds for
rejection.

The reason I think a rich text editing control is rather important is
simple: Almost all web applications involve some level of web
publishing, and most end users love rich text editing.

We use the MSHTML editor in one of our products at work, and the editing
features have been a huge selling point. It's a real shame it only works
on IE. (We have a fallback based on regular forms tough.)

I believe that a standardised interface for rich text editing would be a
very good addition to Web Forms 2, despite the issues with creating a
solid specification for something this complex.

I won't open up discussion on actual implementation just yet, but I
would like to hear the opinions of other list participants on this
issue. Does anyone else think this would be a good thing?

.max

PS. To save you all some Googling, for comparison:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/browser/editing/activateeditor.asp

--
Max Romantschuk
http://max.nma.fi/