[whatwg] Regarding rich text editing

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Jul 2 04:49:12 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Matthew Raymond wrote:

>     Web Forms 2.0 is targeted to the common needs of web authors.
> Advanced widgets like RTF controls, menus and toolbars are the domain of
> Web Apps 1.0. (Near as I can tell, Web Controls 1.0 is intended add
> functionality to Javascript and CSS that aid the the creation of custom
> widgets. However, this will be influenced by the design of XBL2, so I
> doubt we'll be seeing a draft of that spec any time soon.)

What a great way to put it! I hope you don't mind, but I just stole your
paragraph and put it on the whatwg front page (with minor tweaks).

FWIW, it is highly unlikely that WF2 will get any new features at this
point. The combo box thing will be the last major addition to the spec.
Future forms additions will go into Web Forms 3.0.

The reason is simple. If you write a big spec, implementors run away, or
start doing very different parts, and so forth. The result is that you
don't get any interoperability.

Instead, if we have small specs, the path of which to implement is pretty
clear.