[whatwg] Suggestion: <ignore> element.

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 5 14:56:49 PDT 2004

Dave Hodder wrote:
 > Sounds good to me, although quite what is being <ignore>d seems a
 > little ambiguous from the name of the element.  It seems very similar
 > perhaps it could have a more descriptive name, e.g.
 > <nowebforms version="2.0"> or <nowebforms2> or similar?
 >
 > (Just a thought.)

    It was explained to me by Ian that you can't depend on the user
agent to correctly report what standards it supports. Therefore, putting
in an attribute with specific values for standards won't work, nor will
using standard-specific tags. However, the following might be a better idea:

<ignore if="WF2Compliant()">
   ...Content...
</ignore>

    The value of the |if| attribute would be a script that would return
a true or false value. The default for |if| would be "true". In this
manner, people can come up with their own scripts to determine if the
contents of the element should be ignored. Also, if methods of detecting
standards support become more reliable in the future, it can simply be
coded into a Javascript function called by the |if| attribute.

    In another thread, I also suggested an |ignore| attribute. I suppose
if you changed the way this attribute works to make it more like the
|if| attribute, it could be equally useful:

   ...Content...

    Unlike the |if| attribute, however, the default for this modified
version of |ignore| would be "false".

    The main problem with these versions of "ignore" is that they depend
on scripting being enabled. Then again, I suppose that the default
values could apply when scripting is disabled.

    Another solution is to create a hybrid system where names for
standards can be used, but a script could also be called if the
webmaster put in "script(Javascript_Here())". In that way, webmasters
could use still do this...

   ...Content...

...But if they found out that that's not reliable later, they could do this:

   ...Content...

    Your thoughts?