[whatwg] Markup for Web Forms 2.0 that still requires discussion

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Jul 6 09:20:09 PDT 2004

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Matthew Raymond wrote:

>> How is this different from a comment, then?
>
> You explained this very difference to me once. Comments may not exist in
> the DOM for XHTML-compliant UAs. "Ignore", it both forms, provides a way
> of commenting out code while still keeping it in the DOM for XHTML.

Ok, so you are proposing a comment that will always remain in the DOM.

What's the use case? (That's partly rhetorical; see below.)

>> The only use it seems it could have would be to hide content from
>> certain UAs (which UAs, it doesn't say). Since there is no link between
>> this attribute and other features, it is unclear how it would be used.
>
> Why does it need a link between it and other attributes? You use it on
> contents that you want ignored. Simple.

If you want the content ignored, why are you putting it in the document?

The point is that you _don't_ want it to be ignored. You want it to be
ignored on WF2 UAs, and not in legacy UAs.

So effectively it's a "conditional comment", except that the condition is
"supports the <ignore> element" (or attribute, whichever).

It is basically equivalent to <legacy value="Web Forms 2.0">. See:

   http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2004-July/000839.html