[whatwg] some issues

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Jul 7 09:47:37 PDT 2004

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Jim Ley wrote:

>> As we wrote in our position paper:
>>
>>   http://www.w3.org/2004/04/webapps-cdf-ws/papers/opera.html
>
> So now you're talking about we in the sense of Opera, not the WHATWG?

Opera and Mozilla, whose employees make up more than half of the WHATWG
members list, were the authors of the position paper. I can't see how that
"we" could be confusing. The context is rather clear.

> The WHAT WG repeatedly talks about consensus on the mailing list,
> where's the consensus on this mailing list that reflects the above
> document

Nowhere. It's the basis for the entire work. Same with the charter. It
sets the framework for the work, it is not up for discussion. (Well, I
don't mind discussing it, but it is highly unlikely to change based on
comments on the mailing list.)

Concensus within the mailing list is what I'm using to edit the specs,
not what is used to decide the mailing list's primary mission.

> it's not one I agree with - and it's not one that most of the other
> people at the workshop agreed with

Indeed. WHATWG is the forum for people who _do_ agree with it (or with the
intent, at any rate; I'm sure everyone can find a detail or two that they
disagree with!).

If you don't agree with it, for example if you don't think that the way
forward is to extend HTML, then WHATWG's work will obviously never be able
to satisfy you.

> > > 3) Macromedia and Adobe have no interest supporting Web Forms because
> > > they both have competing products (Flash and SVG).
> >
> > This was made quite clear at the Web Apps workshop.
>
> You just wrote that Macromedia weren't even there!

Indeed. What better way of pointing out their lack of interest.

> You also need to remember that Adobes SVG Viewer 6 preview contains an
> HTML user agent, so they clearly do have an interest in HTML.

It contains an XHTML user agent, not an HTML user agent, unless I have
dramatically misunderstood something.