[whatwg] Re: Suggested changes to Web Forms 2.0, 2004-07-01 working

Malcolm Rowe malcolm-what at farside.org.uk
Thu Jul 8 01:07:59 PDT 2004

Matthew Thomas writes: 

>>>> For instance, visual UAs may use a track bar control.
>>> 33. Suggestion: Use more standard terminology.
>>>      *   "track bar" --> "slider"
>> "track bar" is the control's name in the Win32 API. I'm not sure you  can 
>> get much more standard.
> Mac OS, Qt, and WxWindows use "slider". (GTK+ uses "scale".) And even  for 
> Win32 programmers, even allowing for varying spacing, it seems  "slider" 
> is *much* more common, API be damned.

I've got to agree with Matthew here. IBM's Common User Access guidelines 
(CUA87, CUA89, CUA91) (which effectively defined both the OS/2 and Win32 
widget set) use 'slider'. 

Microsoft also use 'slider' when they're not referring to the Win32 API: 
DHTML emulation of the control [1], MFC (CSliderCtrl) [2], and Avalon [3] 
all use 'slider'. 

So, it's really just the Win32 API that's decided it's a trackbar. The 
evidence suggests that everyone else -- past, present, and future -- uses 


[3] http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/04/01/Avalon/default.aspx 

More information about the whatwg mailing list