[whatwg] Re: Suggested changes to Web Forms 2.0, 2004-07-01 working

Malcolm Rowe malcolm-what at farside.org.uk
Thu Jul 8 01:07:59 PDT 2004

Matthew Thomas writes:

>>> 33. Suggestion: Use more standard terminology.
>>>      *   "track bar" --> "slider"
>> "track bar" is the control's name in the Win32 API. I'm not sure you  can
>> get much more standard.
> Mac OS, Qt, and WxWindows use "slider". (GTK+ uses "scale".) And even  for
> Win32 programmers, even allowing for varying spacing, it seems  "slider"
> is *much* more common, API be damned.

I've got to agree with Matthew here. IBM's Common User Access guidelines
(CUA87, CUA89, CUA91) (which effectively defined both the OS/2 and Win32
widget set) use 'slider'.

Microsoft also use 'slider' when they're not referring to the Win32 API:
DHTML emulation of the control [1], MFC (CSliderCtrl) [2], and Avalon [3]
all use 'slider'.

So, it's really just the Win32 API that's decided it's a trackbar. The
evidence suggests that everyone else -- past, present, and future -- uses
'slider'.

Regards,
Malcolm

[1]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/samples/int
ernet/behaviors/library/slider/default.asp
[2]
msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vcmfc98/html/_mfc_csliderctrl.3a3a.setbuddy
.asp
[3] http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/04/01/Avalon/default.aspx