[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 Substantive - Section 5

fantasai fantasai.lists at inkedblade.net
Thu Jul 8 04:44:41 PDT 2004

Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, fantasai wrote:
>
>>5.6.4. For file: actions
>>------------------------
>>
>># If the specified file is executable...
>>
>>What if it's not?
>
> Fixed. Also fixed the description of when it is executable, which was
> rather poorly described.

"using the encoded data set as the standard input, and the resulting standard
output as an HTTP response entity (see details below)"

Drop the comma before the 'and'; you're not supposed to use a comma when
linking two noun phrases.

>>under 'get'
>>
>># Handle as if enctype was application/x-www-form-urlencoded
>>
>>I think you need to specify some kind of escaping on that data
>>before you handle it like x-www-form-urlencoded.
>
> I don't understand what you mean.

The text for "application/x-www-form-urlencoded" says
  # Use the encoded data set as the query value for a URI formed
  # from the action URI and fetch it via HTTP GET.

For x-www-form-urlencoded, the URL-escaping happens during the
encoding stage. Therefore the encoded data set is already escaped,
and can just be appended as the query value.

An XML-encoded data set is not URL-escaped. You therefore can't
just append it to the URI as a query string.

>>File upload & post :
>># Handle as if enctype was application/x-www-form-urlencoded.
>>
>>Does that mean you're sending the binary file data as the body
>>of the sms message without any kind of MIME information?
>
> No? I don't understand why you would interpret this that way.

It says
   "Use the encoded data set as the default message body for a
    message based on the specified action URI."

If the file is binary data, then that binary data is the encoded
set and therefore becomes the default message body. No?

~fantasai

--
http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/contact