[whatwg] Suggested changes to Web Forms 2.0, 2004-07-01 working

Matthew Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Thu Jul 8 16:53:51 PDT 2004

On 9 Jul, 2004, at 12:23 AM, Jim Ley wrote:
> Could you point me to some studies that show users are confused about
> picking dates on websites now?  I've never heard it's a particular
> problem.

There are many usability annoyances in the world that are too small, in
each occurrence, to be particularly measurable. That doesn't mean they
don't exist, and the total annoyance can be large if we're coming
across them every week. So we follow heuristics, based on measurements
of more noticable things, which tell us (among other things) that
consistency is important -- especially in "small visible structures"
such as datepickers.
<http://www.asktog.com/basics/firstPrinciples.html#consistency>

--
Matthew Thomas