[whatwg] Suggested changes to Web Forms 2.0, 2004-07-01 working

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 02:39:40 PDT 2004

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:53:04 +0100, Chris Kaminski <chris at setmajer.com> wrote:

> > I don't normally see many companies using a text box for date
> > input, and I couldn't even find one in a quick search,
> > certainly none of the airlines, or banking systems I use
> > regularly do it.
>
> <http://www.qjump.co.uk/>
> <http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/planmyjourney/time_table/journey_requirements
> .asp?&T2ID=8447_2004799509>

Great examples!  Also of course great examples of the problems with
datetime in legacy UA's - they use a single text entry box, but use
text on the page to show the format, as soon as we use <input
type=datetime> instead of text there, things change.  We can't add the
text dd/mm/yy to the document, since that's going to be gibberish to
someone presented a date picker where they can't use that format.  So
this I think shows it clearly how degrading to a textbox in a datetime
will cause problems in understanding what dates are.

Jim.