[whatwg] Suggested changes to Web Forms 2.0, 2004-07-01 working draft

fantasai fantasai.lists at inkedblade.net
Fri Jul 9 03:15:21 PDT 2004

Ian Hickson wrote:

>>     [4] Why a balloon instead of an alert? Firstly, people
>>         don't read alerts. Secondly, it makes the identity
>>         of the field more obvious. And thirdly, it removes
>>         the need to dismiss anything -- you can edit the
>>         field with the balloon still present, and the
>>         balloon fades away as soon as you do something else.
>
> This was also already mentioned in the appropriate section.

You could make it a bit more explicit by
   "alerting the user (ideally using a non-modal mechanism)"
->"alerting the user (ideally using a non-modal mechanism such as
    a help balloon)"

>>>2.10. The required attribute
>>>For check boxes, the required  attribute shall only be satisfied when
>>>the checkbox is checked.
>>>
>>>For radio buttons, the required attribute shall only be satisfied when
>>>exactly one of the radio buttons in that radio group is checked.
>>
>>53. Suggestion: Use the present tense.
>>     *   "shall only be satisfied" --> "is satisfied only"
>

> "shall" is an RFC 2119 term. And it _is_ present tense.

It is /not/ present tense. It is future tense.
"shall go to the store" is not the same as "is going to the store";
the former happens in the future. Saying "I shall eat dinner" makes
no more sense while I'm eating the dinner than saying "I will eat
dinner".

http://leo.stcloudstate.edu/grammar/tenses.html
http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/auxiliary.htm

~fantasai