[whatwg] Suggested changes to Web Forms 2.0, 2004-07-01 working

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 05:43:54 PDT 2004

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 07:14:19 -0400, Matthew Raymond
<mattraymond at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Jim Ley wrote:
> > they use a single text entry box, but use
> > text on the page to show the format, as soon as we use <input
> > type=datetime> instead of text there, things change.
>
>    Yeah, it changes to date or time pickers they're going to see on
> hundreds of other WF2-compliant sites.

I'm talking about all the legacy clients - remember the whole point of
this process is to keep people able to use the sites with legacy
clients, without it, we have solutions to all these problems.  So I
really don't care about WF2 clients, they can do what they want
(although I need to be able to style the controls, and have tight
expectations of what I'm going get unless the user actively doesn't
want something).

What I need though is that legacy clients work.  And for that I do not
believe DATE does, simply since users REQUIRE a hint to enter the
date, we cannot do that in WF2 documents, without confusing the WF2
user.

>    The format presented to the user is a localized one from the

I realise I'm very bad at English, but is what I wrote really so
un-understandable that you got completely the wrong end of the stick?

>    All of the examples we provided have format hints of one kind or
> another.

What?  where are these examples?

Jim.