[whatwg] Suggested changes to Web Forms 2.0, 2004-07-01 working

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 06:37:44 PDT 2004

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 09:28:45 -0400, Matthew Raymond
<mattraymond at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Jim Ley wrote:
> > On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 13:43:54 +0100, Jim Ley <jim.ley at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes, that is my point, and that with WF2 you can't have formatting
> > hints because it will confuse the users of WF2 clients.  Hence this
> > does not degrade on legacy clients.
>
>    Let's put this thing to bed.
>
> === With Javascript Enabled ===

Oops, not possible for me I'm afraid, the no-javascript is more
important than the javascript enabled, once we have javascript enabled
we can do anything.

>         if (!(document.implementation &&
>               document.implementation.hasFeature &&
>               document.implementation.hasFeature('WebForms', '2.0')))

This is surely still an open issue against WF 2 - it's been said by
both me and Hixie (and I think most people inbetween) that the gross
hasFeature methods don't work, especially as WF2 will be implemented
piecemeal - indeed is already being implemented piecemeal.

>         {
>           document.write('<br>');
>           document.write('<small>(Format: MM/DD/YYYY)</small>');
>         }
>         --></script>

And this is a script error in any case, can I recommend not doing any
more scripting!  Javascript quality on the web is atrocious, it's not
helped by this sort of example.  (we'll ignore that you're using
non-standard things like globablOj.document, as that's pretty well
supported in legacy.)

This does not work for me, since it prevents me having a default
value.  (such as happens when you return to a form after a submission
failure).

Jim.