[whatwg] some issues

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Jul 11 03:35:24 PDT 2004

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, Jim Ley wrote:

>> Please describe, in detail, what you think an open process would be.
>
> Discussion in the open, so any discussion is made in publically
> archivable and referenceable sources, or where it's been made otherwise
> (for whatever reason, privacy concerns by the submitter of the issue,
> convenience on the part of those discussing it)  Details of the decision
> and the reasons why posted to such a public archive.

So every time I correct a typo or thinko in the spec, you want me to
e-mail the group saying that I corrected it, saying why I corrected it,
and saying who informed me that it was to be corrected, where they did so,
and when?

That's not going to happen. I do not have the time to waste on such
trivial pursuits. If you see a change you disagree with, then bring it up.
There is no point me wasting everyone's time saying "oh by the way I
noticed that this section and this section contradicted each other so I
fixed the obviously incorrect one".

> This doesn't stop you deciding all this elsewhere, it just means that
> the decisions are in the open.  At the moment, even on the list people
> can raise issues with the specification, and something, may or may not
> happen, but nowhere is it explained how

Every post raising an issue to this list gets a reply. (I've got a backlog
of Web Apps 1.0 issues to go through, since I haven't started working on
those yet, and I have a few days of Web Forms ones to go through still,
which I am going through as I edit the spec.)

So saying that something "may or may not happen" is ridiculous and,
frankly, offensive, given the lengths to which I have gone to reply to
comments, including yours.

> - contrast this with even the most secretive of W3 working groups, who
> have to respond to issues.

The reality of "having to reply" is that many comments are rejected with
little or no comment. But the failings of the W3C process are off-topic.