[whatwg] Markup for Web Forms 2.0 that still requires discussion

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 12 13:43:50 PDT 2004

Will Levine wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 18:22:11 +0000 (UTC), Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
>>It doesn't discard them, it keeps enough information in the DOM to
>>reconstruct unknown elements. (To be precise, it converts unknown start
>>tags to empty elements and unknown end tags to empty elements with the tag
>>name prefixed by a slash.)
>
> I don't really understand what you are saying here, but now that I've
> done a bit more testing I can certainly understand how a unknown
> element is easier to play with than a object element.

It's simple. Instead of getting this...

[body]

  +-[unknown attrib1="1" attrib2="2" attrib3="3" style="display: span"]

     +-[child1]

     +-[child2]

     +-[child3]

...You get this...

[body]

  +-[unknown attrib1="1" attrib2="2" attrib3="3" style="display: none"]

  +-[child1]

  +-[child2]

  +-[child3]

  +-[/unknown style="display: none"]