[whatwg] Doctype FPI

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 13 05:52:33 PDT 2004

Ian Hickson wrote:
> How about:
>
>    "-//WHATWG//DTD HTML5-pre1//EN"
>
> ...? Especially as we go through several revisions, it'll be helpful for
> people to be able to say exactly which DTD they are validating against.
>
> In the end, we want to just have:
>
>    "-//WHATWG//DTD HTML5//EN"
>
> But that's after Web Apps 1.0 is done too.

    The problem with any FPI that we come up with is that vendors may
not implement all specifications, and if they don't, there's no way of
knowing which they will support unless we make them dependent on earlier
specs. So if we do different doctypes for all possibilities, we get the
following situation:

"-//WHATWG//DTD HTML4 + WF2//EN"
"-//WHATWG//DTD HTML4 + WA1//EN"
"-//WHATWG//DTD HTML4 + WC1//EN"
"-//WHATWG//DTD HTML4 + WF2 + WA1//EN"
"-//WHATWG//DTD HTML4 + WF2 + WC1//EN"
"-//WHATWG//DTD HTML4 + WA1 + WC1//EN"
"-//WHATWG//DTD HTML5//EN"

    Now add revision numbering on top of that. Good luck.