[whatwg] Suggested changes to Web Forms 2.0, 2004-07-01 working

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 01:24:16 PDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:42:11 -0400, Matthew Raymond
<mattraymond at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Jim Ley wrote:
>    Plug-ins are fine, but they can't be the primary solution. It's a
> matter deployment. Most browsers are IE6 with Javascript enabled, so an
> HTC will work without any special permission or effort from the user.

HTC's like scriptlets and other ostensibly script things require
trusted ActiveX activation permission.  What are your stats on this?
Especially on the more corporate, heavy consumer of web-apps?

>    If we can't use <object> with an HTC, that means that the vast
> majority of the computing population will not be able to use WF2 and
> other standards without special effort on their part.

So yes, you are predicating a particular implementation strategy,
you're saying the degradation _must_ be done with HTC's ?  That's good
to know, could we have this made clear in the charter Ian, as it
certainly wasn't seen to be a requirement by me.

I also think, it's ridiculous.  Why are HTC's the only solution?

Jim.