[whatwg] Suggested changes to Web Forms 2.0, 2004-07-01 working

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 15 07:57:56 PDT 2004

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Michael wrote:
>>Now suppose the following:
>>
>><label for="...">Date: (format: dd-mm-yyyy)</label>
>><input type="date" id="..." format="dd-mm-yyyy">
>>
>>Now the WF2 UA provides a widget for that format instead of based upon a
>>detected locale. The legacy user and WF2 user get a correct label and I
>>only have to have the server convert the one format dd-mm-yyyy from
>>legacy users.
>
> The problem with this is that it assumes that the UA is going to be
> displaying a text entry field at all. In theory, the UA could just provide
> a calendar, so the format "dd-mm-yyyy" would be meaningless.

    We've been talking about a <date> element in another thread. Why not
some kind of format element that gives a region-specific format on a WF2
browser?...

<label for="dday">
   Date: <timeformat type="date">(format: dd-mm-yyyy)</timeformat>
</label>
<input type="date" id="dday">

    In a legacy browser, the label would be "Date: (format:
dd-mm-yyyy)". On a WF2 browser, however, you might see "Date: (format:
yyyy-mm-dd)" if your region uses the "yyyy-mm-dd" format. This can be
useful for international users who may be using a browser in an Internet
cafe or something and is not be used to the native formats.