[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 methods and enctypes

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Jul 15 09:59:22 PDT 2004

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, [iso-8859-1] Asbjørn Ulsberg wrote:

>> Perhaps one way to do this would be to allow a form submitting
>> x-www-form-xml encoded data to be transformed using XSLT on the data,
>> this could be done on the server or it could be done on the client
>
> I would prefer if this was possible to do on the client, so that server
> implementations could be kept as general and simple as possible.

I would argue the opposite -- that _clients_ should be kept as general and
simple as possible. The server can be special cased for each role it has
to play, but the client is supposed to go anywhere, on small devices.

>> <form action="http://example.com/atom.endpoint"
>>   enctype="application/x-www-form+xml"
>>   target-enctype="application/atom+xml"
>>   transformation="http://example.com/atom.transform.wf2"
>>   method="post">
>
> That's something I could live with. Is it possible for WF2 to support
> something like this?

Unfortunately, XSLT support is only available in Mozilla and IE, as far
as I know, with no plans for it to be introduced elsewhere. So this would
not be widely supported.

>> This would then provide an extensible mechanism for advanced uses of
>> XML submission in a variety of domain specific XML languages such as
>> atom.
>
> Yes; Atom is not alone in this field, I presume. The Atom API even
> supports other MIME types to be posted, and extending WF2 this way could
> even make simple web forms be WebDAV clients, PUT-ing WebDAV resources
> all over the server. :-)

WF2 already supports HTTP PUT as one of the submission methods.