[whatwg] ISO 639 / ISO 3166 / ISO 4217 inputs

George Lund george at lund.co.uk
Fri Jul 16 14:51:16 PDT 2004

In message <5984AE6FCA91944C8E4FAABA4F2822BA9F40CC at mx2.ITN.LOCAL>,
"Wrigley, Ave" <Ave.Wrigley at itn.co.uk> writes
>Especially country codes - I don't know how many
>times I have seen different implementations of country selectors on web
>forms. It would be good to abstact this away, especially as it
>centralises the maintenance of the list of countries.

That's a really good idea.

There would have to be some kind of requirement to keep the data
up-to-date though, otherwise people living in newly-invented countries
would have a hard time.

It would be good because the web browser could automatically put the
user's own country near the top of the list.

But then, asking people to type a country name isn't such a hardship.

--
George Lund