Javascript for degradation [ Re: [whatwg] Suggested changes to Web Forms 2.0, 2004-07-01 working ]

Dean Edwards dean at edwards.name
Mon Jul 19 12:51:50 PDT 2004

Matthew Raymond wrote:
> Jim Ley wrote:
>

>    I might remind you that nothing is stopping anyone from creating a
> pure script solution, and both the pure script and HTC efforts may even
> cooperate and reuse each other's code.

+1

>>> In the message, Dean specifies the following as problems:
>>> 4) Memory leaks, which seems to be a problem with IE JScript in general.
>>> 5) Crashes, which he says are far more likely in the testing phase.
>>

>> Yep, these sound pretty f'ing alarming for release quality
>> web-applications !

5) HTCs don't randomly crash otherwise there would be no way i would
advocate their use. crashes may occur when you are developing/testing
HTCs. this can make them a pain to work with at times and means that you
have to clear your cache periodically. but this is purely a development
issue.

>>>   You've been given every opportunity to suggest markup that
>>> gracefully degrades as opposed to "last ditch degradation",
>>
>> I've done that, so far it's being rejected primarily because it is not
>> supportable by HTC's!

it was rejected because the <object> element does not reside in the DOM.
furthermore, there would be no need to attach an HTC to an <object> as
you can already define a custom interface for it. i still like the
<object> idea though and there may be a way round the DOM problem...

-dean