[whatwg] Proposal: datesubmissionformat (repost)

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 21 18:18:46 PDT 2004

Malcolm Rowe wrote:
> Date:
> <input type="text" maxlength="10" name="edit[visit_date]" size="8"
> value="">
> Enter date of visit as dd/mm/yyyy

> So, what can the site author do? In my mind, they could do one of three
> things:
>
> * They could change to <input type=date>, and change the server-side
> processing to allow either type of date to be provided.
>
> * They could change to <input type=date>, and add client-side scripting
> to convert one value into another (and probably provide some client-side
> validation for non-WF2 UAs at the same time).
>
> * They could do nothing, and leave the page as-is.

Why couldn't they just change the hint to a different format?

   <label>Enter date of visit as YYYY-MM-DD:
          <input type="date" ... ></label>

> Critically, I am not proposing a general-purpose format specifier; the
> allowed values for this attribute would be drawn from a short list of
> 'common' date formats. The ones I had in mind were "iso" (for ISO8601,
> the default, yyyy-mm-dd), "d/m/y" (UK format, dd/mm/yyyy), "m/d/y" (US
> format, mm/dd/yyyy), and probably a 'European' format "d.m.y" (dd.mm.yyyy).

   If there was going to be a date format attribute, then I would insist
that it accepts strings using the same letter convention as in the
ISO8601 spec.

eg. YYYY-MM-DD, YYYY-Www-D, YYYY-DDD, hh:mm:ss.sZ or combined as
YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.sZ (where Z represents the timezone that can be
entered as either a literal "Z" or ±hh:mm.  Using the same letters, they
could be ordered however the author liked (though ISO format would be
recommended) eg. DD/MM/YYYY, MM/DD/YYYY.

   Even if these were predefined formats rather than any arbitary
format, this would make it easier to understnand and more logical than
just a single letter for each, though I think attempting to restrict it
to a list of predefined formats wouldn't work anyway, because authors
don't always read the specs, so many would just guess and think they
could enter it however they like.

--
Lachlan Hunt

lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au