[whatwg] Re: pattern attribute

Malcolm Rowe malcolm-what at farside.org.uk
Thu Jul 22 09:55:06 PDT 2004

Wrigley, Ave writes:
> Incidentally - do you have any views on regex modifiers?

Hmm, good question. ECMAScript defines only the RegExp object's 'ignoreCase'
and 'multiline' as modifiers, from what I can see. Of those, the only one
that's really relevant, I think, is ignoreCase. It certainly might be useful
to be able to define whether a pattern is case-insensitive or not.

We used to have a comment that defined the value for the 'multiline'
ECMAScript property, though that seems not to be present in the current
draft - I'm not sure why.

I'm not aware of any other modifiers that would make sense in a 'pattern'
attribute - can you think of any?

Anyway, it certainly might be useful to set ignoreCase, and I'd guess that
the default should be defined so that it is case-insensitive. I can't think
of any obvious syntax for doing that, though. I must admit that I can't
think of a use case where the pattern *is* case sensitive.

Regards,
Malcolm