[whatwg] a few comments to Webforms 2.0 Call For Comments

Matthew Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Sat Jul 31 20:10:46 PDT 2004

On 31 Jul, 2004, at 11:58 PM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> First of all, the solution needs to apply to XHTML as well as HTML. If
> we still assume XML is to be taken seriously (and not as tag soup),
> doctype sniffing on the XML side is totally, utterly bogus.

That's a presumptive definition of "seriously". In the long run, it
*may* be the case that treating XHTML as tag soup is the only "serious"
way of doing it. (I know that's a heated debate that doesn't belong on
this list, but it's probably heated because the answer's not yet
obvious enough for "seriously" to mean anything.)

> The reason why it is bogus is that including a DTD by reference and
> pasting it inline are supposed to be equivalent for validating XML
> processor and in the latter case you don't see a public identifier for
> the DTD. Hence, using the public identifier for any purpose other than
> locating the DTD is just plain wrong. Of course, sane real-world XHTML
> user agents use non-validating XML processors which makes the
> inclusion of the doctype declaration rather pointless.

So do any real-world XHTML UAs handle a DTD pasted inline, or is this
just a theoretical argument?

> Now, similar argumentation does not work on the HTML side if we agree
> not to pretend that real SGML is being processed. Doctype sniffing is
> a tag soup solution to a tag soup problem.

That's an extrapolation from a single data point. The only use of
doctype sniffing *so far* has been to handle quirky style/layout
expectations of old pages (and in the case of table style inheritance,
they wouldn't even need to be tag-soup pages). In the long run, doctype
sniffing may become a general-purpose method of changing *any*
undesired behavior (whether de-facto or de-jure) of old syntax in new
spec versions.

> Still, doctype sniffing is already confusing and convoluted enough for
> casual authors. (See http://iki.fi/hsivonen/doctype.html for subtle
> differences between user agents.)  I think perturbing it further is a
> bad idea.

Sure, but it may be unavoidable, just like it is with natural
languages. (Try running "The Canterbury Tales" through a Modern English
spellchecker or grammar checker, for example.)

> Besides, you can't force the existing installed base of browsers to do
> new tricks with doctypes which would mean different defaulting.

Which is probably why Matthew Raymond's proposal doesn't require the
existing installed base of browsers to change anything.

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/