[whatwg] <output> and onforminput

Dean Edwards dean at edwards.name
Thu Jun 24 10:17:15 PDT 2004

Jim Ley wrote:

 > Script HTC's cannot be used in a commercial environment, they're
 > simply inadequate to the task and full of memory leaks and various
 > other problems, any time you pay for MS support, they'll tell you to
 > stop using them.   Binary Behaviours or extending the browser is of
 > course possible, but who's going to install those?    I really don't
 > see the IE6 support path here.

unfortunately *all* IE javascript apps leak memory. this due to IE's
general crappiness. we can't make IE perfect but we can try to improve it.

i know of a multinational corporation that is running Microsoft DHTML
behaviors (htc's) on their main web site. check it out:
http://www.microsoft.com/

to implement the WF2's DOM extensions and to make use of things like
form validation, pretty much the only way to do it in IE is use
behavioral extensions. you could probably do a lot of it using pure
javascript but it wouldn't be as good and it wouldn't be as complete.

this is an open specification. so anyone who wants to write a pure
javascript implementation, can do that...

-dean