[whatwg] about rich internat applications

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Jun 7 10:24:38 PDT 2004

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Didier PH Martin wrote:

> Having now done several rich internet applications I discovered that
> form the practical point of view something like the CSS behavior as
> proposed by Microsoft can help develop and implement most of the
> requirements specified in your document about web applications.

Indeed. The CSS and SVG working groups in the W3C are working on XBL2,
which is a step on from Microsoft's HTCs.

> e) Could lead to a business model if source code access can be
> controlled. A new market of external widget makers can be created if
> their asset can be protected. We saw such market happening with
> powerbuilder, visual basicm etc.

Personally I am opposed to technologies that make it harder to copy,
tweak, or otherwise play with the source of applications. XBL, like SVG
and CSS, will be a (theoretically) human-readable format.