[whatwg] Loading custom XML UI definitions from an external file

Preston St. Pierre webmaster at aparadine.com
Wed Jun 9 11:06:29 PDT 2004

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:58:54 -0700
Brad Neuberg <bkn3 at columbia.edu> wrote:

> The question is, how many people using modern browsers (IE 6+, Mozilla,
> FireFox) regularly turn off JavaScript?  Supporting browsers before IE 6 or
> before Mozilla isn't realistic if you want to create web apps, in my opinion.

Enough. Want a better answer than that? I can't give one. But enough. I know personally of at least five people who have it turned off - and thats just people I know IRL. Multiply that by (total world population / number of people I know) and you may get a closer answer.

So, enough. As far as I see, if one user can't get to your site it is enough to validate changing the way it is designed. The more valuable your clients are to you, the more you will appreciate this reliability. Every person counts. If I code to a standard, I do so because it will be compatible. Not with 99% of my users, but with 100%. It does, of course, depend on who your user base is. But again, a standard isn't there to be a standard for "this scenario only." It is there to be a standard for the web. If only certain types of the popular clients are able to view it, then it isn't much of a standard.