[whatwg] Why not JavaScript?

Jonny Axelsson jax at opera.com
Thu Jun 10 03:36:21 PDT 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:35:31 +0900, Andrew Clover <and-py at doxdesk.com>
wrote:

> Peter-Paul Koch <gassinaumasis at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > First of all, when I read the (very interesting) position paper, it
>  > struck me that every described feature can be implemented in
>  > JavaScript
>
> Am inclined to agree. I would prefer not to standardise mechanisms that
> could already be implemented just as well using an appropriate
> client-side scripting library.

I would put this the other way around. It is desirable that the
functionality can be expressed in JavaScript as it makes it easy to add
support for it for other user agents. Still the goal shouldn't be to use
as much JS as possible, it should be to use as little of it as possible.
Similarly the goal should be to use as little markup as possible, not to
make JavaScript with angle brackets.

--
Jonny Axelsson,
Web Standards,