[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 - Comments on sections 1 and 2

fantasai fantasai.lists at inkedblade.net
Thu Jun 10 14:09:50 PDT 2004

Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Laurens Holst wrote:
>
>>Input precision attribute
>>=========================
>>I think this should also apply to the 'time' type (and perhaps others).
>>It would basically be nice to be able to say 'whole hours only'.
>
> "Whole hours only" is an integer. Just use that. :-)

It's an integer mod 24, and the UI in some locales (such as the US)
should be mod 12 with am/pm switches.

>>(for that matter, isn't 'expdate' just a date with lower precision?)
>
> It's a lot easier to have a type for such a common control than to have to
> have to give two attributes including a precesion.

wrt "expdate": Shouldn't you call it 'month', to be consistent with 'week'?
Naming it after credit-card expiration dates seems wrong, imo.

>>required attribute applies to all controls except radio buttons
>>===============================================================
>>What about radio buttons in sets where none of the buttons are marked as
>>checked? I really think this should apply to those as well.
>
> The problem is, which control do you put it on?

any?

> Well, checked="checked" is for back compat, and autocomplete="off" is for
> back compat.
>
> People complained about having to write required="required" in XHTML,
> which is why I made it autofocus="true" instead of autofocus="autofocus".

Then make it autofocus="on/off" to match autocomplete="on/off".
The inconsistency is especially troublesome because they both
have the same prefix.

~fantasai

--
http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/contact