Transition from Legacy to Native rendering - (was Re: [whatwg] repetition model)

Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen hallvors at online.no
Mon Jun 14 08:37:34 PDT 2004

On 14 Jun 2004 at 0:58, Jim Ley wrote:

> I've also yet to see anything that shows the transition from script
> implemented to natively implemented. How will my legacy content work
> in these future native renderers - my script will still be there, how will
> the hypothetical native renderers know not to execute it?

I imagine the script libraries should be written with this in mind
and themselves check whether the UAs support WebForms 2 natively.
Something like..

if(! (document.implementation && document.implementation.hasFeature
&& document.implementation.hasFeature('WebForms', '2.0') ) ){
    // create SCRIPT element or write SCRIPT tag linking in the WF2
    // JavaScript libraries here
}

If it gets implemented first in Opera and Mozilla and they do not add
support for CSS behaviours it is of course tempting to just use a CSS
behaviour property for IE. Even so the script library itself should
probably use hasFeature to avoid crashing with a native
implementation.

Ian, perhaps one ought to mention this somewhere if you write
something about requirements for legacy UA-libraries?
--
Hallvord R. M. Steen