[whatwg] This step must be skipped if the form has no onreceived attribute

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Jun 16 09:56:21 PDT 2004

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004, Jim Ley wrote:

> I was going to stop the comments for now, but:
>
> | Step seven: Dispatch the received event.
> | This step must be skipped if the form has no onreceived attribute.
>
> Was so awful I had to mention it...  We can't use DOM events to add event
> listeners, why not, it's utterly ridiculous...

You can add event listeners -- you just have to make sure the attribute is
present as well. This is required because otherwise in order to implement
this, every time you submitted a form you would have to wait til you had
completely parsed the new document before tearing down the old one, which
is of course unacceptable. This way, the author has to give a clear sign
(adding an attribute) that this is acceptable for him.