[whatwg] date/time and precision changes

David Hyatt hyatt at apple.com
Wed Jun 16 11:39:52 PDT 2004

Also a float slider is simply continuous... it effectively has no step
value... I don't see how to specify a continuous float slider without
having to say something hacky like step="0.001".  If you must have a
step attribute, I think you should have a special value, continuous, to
denote that the entire range of values is allowed.

This is another reason why I think the precision value was necessary.
Both a float slider and int slider should by default be considered
continuous, i.e.to support all possible values.  While a step attribute
is definitely useful, I don't think it's intuitive to use it to set the
data type of the slider control.  Logically the default value of step
should be "continuous" IMO and precision="integer|float" should be
supported to determine what "continuous" means.

Adding numeric values for step also introduces an ambiguity of how the
slider should behave when dragging.  Does it jump in increments or does
it smoothly slide and do rounding to the nearest step increment?  This
is perhaps something for a CSS property to control.

dave