[whatwg] Various attributes

Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen hallvors at online.no
Fri Jun 18 09:52:04 PDT 2004

On 16 Jun 2004 at 16:55, Ian Hickson wrote:

> > Why doesn't the required attribute apply to check-box's (use case"do you
> > agree to the terms and conditions?")
>
> If a checkbox is required, there is no point having a checkbox. For "do
> you agree" type checkboxes, the server should handle the "don't agree"
> case, IMHO.

Why?

I disagree on this. If you don't allow "required" on checkboxes
nearly everyone will just write some extra JavaScript validation to
do the same thing. It is simpler to just allow "required". It only
really makes sense for the "terms and conditions" type checkboxes but
they are certainly common enough to warrant consideration.

By the way, I don't see why one could not include radio buttons too.
Write something like

    If one of a group of radio buttons is required it applies to the
    entire group (e.g. one of the elements must be selected before the
    form is submitted, but not necessarily the one that has the required
    attribute). Authors may want to force a selection by having no button
    in a group pre-selected.

I don't see any problems with either of these but perhaps the
implementors or others on the list do..?
--
Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen
hallvors at online.no / www.hallvord.com