[whatwg] Something for the end-user??

Matthew Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Sat Jun 19 03:39:08 PDT 2004

On 19 Jun, 2004, at 1:29 PM, Dean Edwards wrote:
> now can someone suggest some suitable date and number formatting
> patterns please?

For dates, I suggest "short", "long", and "longwithday". To present
these, UAs would use the user's preferred short and long date formats
-- as set for example in the "Regional Settings" control panel in
Microsoft Windows, and in the "International" System Preferences panel
in Mac OS X.

This would be the most polite, I think; it would be irritating and
confusing for Web authors to be able to specify m/d/y format, for
example, when all the native programs on the user's OS were using d/m/y
format. (Web authors could use some other method to output a confusing
format if they really wanted to, but Web Forms shouldn't go out of its
way to help them.)

Similarly for numbers, I think it would be best not to have any
patterns, beyond saying "this is a number". The OS already provides
global settings for what the thousands separator should be and what the
decimal point should look like; people shouldn't have to re-specify
these settings, or have them ignored, for every Web application they
use. And allowing inconsistency with those settings -- for example
allowing Web authors to specify "," when all the user's native programs
were using ".", and vice versa -- could cause severe mistakes.

OSes also have settings for displaying currency, but I think these
would be inappropriate for Web use, because Web sites are often
referring to currencies other than the user's local one. And prefixing
or affixing currency symbols hardly needs help from special Web Forms
markup.

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/