[whatwg] <output> and onforminput

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Mon Jun 21 14:50:38 PDT 2004

Ian Hickson wrote:
> Just to be clear, the WHATWG members intend for _new_ browsers to be able
> to implement Web Forms 2, with special consideration being made for one
> particular browser, IE6, due to its large market share.

   When did the term “interoperable implementation” get expanded to
“internet-explorer-operable implementation”?  Why should it matter that
Internet Explorer has a large market share?  Last time I checked,
Microsoft wasn't even involved with this WG, so what makes you think
they're even slightly interested in implementing any of the new features
that you're introducing?  It would be much better if, rather than trying
to support an all-but-dead browser (being kept alive only by the
millions of non-technical web users who don't know any better, or know
how to install another), there was a campaign to either get IE to
support existing standards, or to educate many more users about the
benefits of switching, and how to install Mozilla, Opera, Safari or some
other standards compliant browser.

   I think I said this best in my comment on Mezzoblue, so I'll just
point you there.
http://www.mezzoblue.com/archives/2004/06/09/whats_next/comments/#c005597

--
Lachlan Hunt