Transition from Legacy to Native rendering - (was Re: [whatwg] repetition model)

Malcolm Rowe malcolm-what at farside.org.uk
Tue Jun 22 00:23:13 PDT 2004

Jim Ley wrote:

>>1) How likely is it that a UA that supports WebForms 2 but not DOM
>>will emerge?
>>

>I think it's unlikely, but it's possible.

No, it's not. WF2 incorporates by reference DOM2 HTML and DOM3 Core,
among others. You can't implement a WF2 UA without support for them:

"This specification includes by reference the form-related parts of the
HTML4, XHTML1.1, DOM2 HTML, DOM3 Core, and DOM3 Events specifications
([HTML4] <http://whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#refsHTML4>,
[XHTML1] <http://whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#refsXHTML1>,
[DOM2HTML]
<http://whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#refsDOM2HTML>,
[DOM3CORE]
<http://whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#refsDOM3CORE>,
[DOM3EVENTS]
<http://whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#refsDOM3EVENTS>).
Compliant UAs must implement all the requirements of those
specifications to claim compliance to this one."
 - http://whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#conformance

Actually, there's a slight problem there, but it's not to do with scripting.

>>[document.implementation.hasFeature]
>>

>One of the problems with this is that [window.]document is not in
>_any_ specification anywhere, so you'd have WebForms 2.0 introducing a
>dependency on de-facto behaviour rather than standard behaviour, I
>think that would be difficult to justify.  Of course WebForms 2.0
>could standardise a window and global script object interface for HTML
>UA's....

Have you also complained in www-dom that all the W3C DOM specs rely on
'de-facto behaviour'? DOMImplementation.hasFeature is defined in W3C's
DOM Level 1 spec from 1998 - it's not like it's some crazy feature we've
come up with by ourselves. I note that XForms does exactly the same
thing - it defines a feature string and level for hasFeature, but
nothing more.

Regards,
Malcolm